Subject: Re: Where's the Logo?
To: Bob Bernstein <rs@bernstein.providence.ri.us>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/14/2004 15:59:12
A while back, it was decreed that the iamge on the NetBSD homepage
was going to be taken down.  I saw several objections to it and do
not know which ones were ultimately influential.  (The ones that
were floated were:

 * Offensive to certain religious sects who place "demons" and
   "devils" in their pantheon and find depiction of similar-looking
   figures on a web site or in an image associated with a product
   to be unacceptable.

 * The Iwo(sp) Jima allusion of the home page may variously offend
   U.S. people (using the famous flag-raising for a product image),
   Japanese people (using a famous flag-raising at a battle that
   the U.S. won), or any other nation (using U.S. allusions rather
   than *their* country)).

 * The image is too old and it's time for New And Improved.

 * The image is not adequate for a logo, hence is not valid for a
   web-page.

 * Some(?) depictions of the BSD daemon look like a "college
   mascott".

There may be other reasons.  Those are the ones that I have seen
and remember.

So, a contest was set up, with a small prize.  Some other users
offered up more money for the prize.  The hope was to get some
professional artists to do a serious job of designing the logo,
I gather.  A first round of selections was to be done, followed
by at least a second round of votes.

(I recall that the daemon imagery was expressly forbidden for
entries.)

At one time, I had the impression that the second round was to be
a public vote of NetBSD users, but later I read that it was to
be a private vote by some select group.

I understand that at least the first round has been completed.  I
do not recall seeing further announcements.