Subject: Re: mclpool limit reached
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Dion van der Grijp <dvdgrijp@mbox3.singnet.com.sg>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/08/2004 08:20:35
On Sat, Aug 07, 2004 at 06:03:40AM -0600, Herb Peyerl wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2004, at 5:08 AM, sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
>
> > Well I've just found this
> > http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/kernel/#mclpool-limit
> > I'll give it a try when I have some time after work, and see if it
> > helps
> >
> The first thing I do after building a new NetBSD machine, or upgrading
> an existing one, is rebuild the kernel with more mbuf clusters.
>
> In the kernel config file:
>
> options NMBCLUSTERS="2048"
>
> The number you choose is dependent on how busy your machine will be as
> far as network activity.  Most of my web servers are at 8192.
>
> The "out of the box" configuration is barely sufficient for any sort of
> basic usage. It should really be bumped up in the GENERIC kernel...

Hmm...  I just checked the GENERIC kernel config file and found NO reference
to NMBCLUSTERS at all.  Here's what a search of the NetBSD 1.6.2 kernel
configs turns up:

DELPHI:        options 	NMBCLUSTERS=16384 # max mbuf clusters (32M)
DR-EVIL:       options 	NMBCLUSTERS=4096 # Max. number of mbuf clusters
GENERIC_TINY:  options 	NMBCLUSTERS=256
HOMEWORLD:     options 	NMBCLUSTERS=2048
INSTALL_TINY:  options 	NMBCLUSTERS=64
MINBAR:        options 	NMBCLUSTERS=2048
NBFTP:         options 	NMBCLUSTERS=2048

A call to sysctl returns: kern.mbuf.nmbclusters=1024.  So I guess this must
be the "out of the box" configuration you were referring to.

Woudn't it make sense to include the explicit default NMBCLUSTERS option
in the GENERIC kernel config - since that's what most users will build a
custom kernel from?  At least then it would be visible.

Dion van der Grijp