Subject: Re: [Announce] Driver for Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 (Centrino)
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org, tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: Wouter Klouwen <dublet@dublet.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/04/2004 11:34:22
David Young(dyoung@pobox.com) said 2004.08.03 18:16:23 +0000:
> On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 02:37:46PM +0200, Damien Bergamini wrote:
> > I'm pleased to announce the first release of a native NetBSD driver for the
> > Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 802.11b network adapter (a core component of the
> > Intel(R) Centrino technology). You can download the driver here:
>
> Cool.  Have you asked Intel if we can distribute their firmware binary
> under BSD license terms?

http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=3

It is quite a sticky issue, and should probably receive some attention by
someone with some legal knowledge. AFAICT NetBSD may be eligible to
redistribute it but certainly not under the BSD license.

This may be a minor problem, but I think it would be good if this was
integrated into the source tree, provided users were alerted to the fact
they need the seperate firmware.

	Wouter