Subject: Re: jerky mplayer/gmplayer output
To: Kailash Sethuraman <hsaliak@gmail.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/04/2004 08:13:48
Hi,

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 11:11:41AM +0800, Kailash Sethuraman wrote:
> Just my  2 cents on this. Using the sun audio output  has in many
> times resulted in a performance improvement for me. The default OSS
> audio output has to be emulated by the native API, which may result in
> some performance tradeoff.  So , try -ao sun .

This didn't improve playback.  It's not a performance problem (95% idle
CPU) but more like a synchronizing problem - frames being played back
at varying intervals.

> Apart from this the
> mplayer docs come with various tricks you can use to optimize the
> output, one  good one is to use a cheaper and poorer software scaler
> ( -sws 4 ) .

No change. :-I

> I'd suggest try  a combination of -vo xv -ao sun , as your preferred
> video / audio outputs. and see if it helps. -vo sdl -ao sdl have
> better results sometimes. Do play with their combination.

sdl didn't help any, either.

I thought my laptop was doing better, but it really isn't.  The same
problem on both machines.

Thanks for the suggestions,

  -jm