Subject: Re: kern.clockrate
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/29/2004 23:12:41
Charles Swiger wrote:

> Hmm, you also asked about how HZ affects performance and
> responsiveness.  Let me dig up a related thread about changing HZ from
> 100 to 1000 from a FreeBSD list:

Well looking at /usr/src/sys/kern/kern_clock.c I found out various hz
values it expects, and experimented with them and it seems that the
system responds under heavy load better with high hz values, but there
is a penalty in terms of cpu usage. I guess it's all the overhead of
generating interrupts at very short intervals

roman$ sysctl kern.clockrate
kern.clockrate: tick = 15, tickadj = 1, hz = 65536, profhz = 65536,
stathz = 65536