Subject: UVM out of swap -> kills process
To: None <>
From: Peter Bex <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/29/2004 00:51:48

Hi there,

Somehow I ran into the following problem today:
Whenever I start a `big' program like gcc, it dies hard and I see messages =

UVM: pid 10134 (cc1), uid 0 killed: out of swap

in my dmesg.  I have more than enough swap:

$ swapctl -l
Device      512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Priority
/dev/wd1b      1050273    26240  1024033     2%    0

And the swap partition lives on a harddisk that is something like 4 weeks o=

What should I do to investigate the cause of this problem?  I won't have
physical access to the machine, so I can't do anything to the hardware.

I can't use my machine properly anymore, so I'd *really* like to fix this

Some info:

NetBSD 2.0_BETA (FROHIKE) #1: Tue Jul  6 14:42:10 CEST 2004

total memory =3D 65084 KB
avail memory =3D 60912 KB
cpu0: Intel Pentium II (686-class), 350.81 MHz, id 0x652

The first harddisk is old and shows some errors in dmesg:

wd0: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA mode 1
wd0(piixide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 1 (using DMA data trans=
wd0a: error writing fsbn 1960416 of 1960416-1960431 (wd0 bn 1960479; cn 2074
tn 8 sn 45), retrying
wd0: (aborted command, interface CRC error)
wd0: soft error (corrected)

Could this somehow have an effect with regards to the swap problem?
I'll be happy to supply more information if that is deemed necessary.

							-- Donald Knuth

Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (NetBSD)