Subject: Re: Backup Storage System
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org (rfc822 Compliance issue To>
From: Brian Rose <lists@brianrose.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/27/2004 15:39:15
Zafer Aydogan wrote:

> Hello Newsgroup,
>
> I am planning to set up a backup storage server for our company.
> I'd like to know, if I can use 250 GB Harddrives, which my Bios does not
> recognize.

If you can get the BIOS to boot netbsd, NetBSD should work fine with the drives. What I have done is to place a small boot disk with the root filesystem on it and then mount the big drives. If you don't have space for an extra drive, then you could make a boot floppy or boot CD and have it mount the / from the large drives. I've never tried to do the latter, but it should be possible.

In summary, all the BIOS needs to do is boot the kernel. The kernel should be able to take it from there.