Subject: Re: Backup Storage System
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/27/2004 16:14:02
On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 02:20:23PM +0200, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> Hello Newsgroup,
>
> I am planning to set up a backup storage server for our company.
> I'd like to know, if I can use 250 GB Harddrives, which my Bios does not
> recognize.

NetBSD shound't have problems with it once the OS is loaded (make sure
to put the root partition in the lower part of the boot disk).
But I've seen BIOSes hang when trying to deal with large drives.

> I thought about using 4 x 250 GB in a row, simple IDE with one primary IDE
> Master+SLave and one secondary IDE with Master & Slave

I would recommend getting one or two add-on PCIIDE adapters, and using only
one drive per channel.

> Can NetBSD manage 1000 GB at all ?

yes, this shouldn't be a problem.