Subject: Re: Backup Storage System
To: Zafer Aydogan <zafer@gmx.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert@feyrer.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/27/2004 14:45:18
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Zafer Aydogan wrote:
> I'd like to know, if I can use 250 GB Harddrives, which my Bios does not
> recognize.

Why not try it? My BIOS is quite old as well, and while I use a 20GB disk
to boot from, my 250GB /home is recognized fine:

wd2 at atabus1 drive 1: <IBM-DTLA-307030>
wd2: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
wd2: 29314 MB, 59560 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 60036480 sectors
wd2: 32-bit data port
wd2: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 5 (Ultra/100)
wd2(viaide0:1:1): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 4 (Ultra/66) (using DMA data transfers)

> I thought about using 4 x 250 GB in a row, simple IDE with one primary
IDE
> Master+SLave and one secondary IDE with Master & Slave
> Can NetBSD manage 1000 GB at all ?

I'd expect no problems there and I think people have done that before.

> Any other smarter solution?

Probably not smarter, but possible: use a hardware RAID controller.
Tricker to monitor than RAIDframe though. (Then again, in striped mode
it doesn't matter if you monitor - if one drive is dead, the whole volume
is dead... you may want to think about RAID level 5. That would indeed
be smarter :).

 - Hubert

--
                         ,,_