Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.6.2 sparc recovery from custom kernel
To: Ogre <Ogre@lowmips.com>
From: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/27/2004 11:21:04
On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:08:11PM -0400, Ogre   wrote:
|I didnt know you could make directories while booted from the cd, i
|guess everything is in ram, on a ramdrive? anywho, i mounted my first
|scsi drive to a temp directory and i'm able to play with my kernel files
|from there.

yup ... assuming you can mount a filesystem rw, you've got total access.
Just make sure to unmount it before rebooting or you may find your
changes get rolled back (done that a few times myself ... :)

is this machine a workstation or a server? If it's a server I would
definately look at getting the serial console working - all my server
gear uses the serial port as the console, which means I can get to the
console even if there is a network outage. Better yet, any messages as
the machine boots or crashes are also dumped to the console and if you
log the output (eg using tip and screen), you've got something to work
from straight away.

Regards,
Malcolm

--
Malcolm Herbert                                    System Administrator
ph [990] 54881 rm 28-241                          School of GeoSciences