Subject: Re: Question on speeding up zone file access
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/21/2004 16:04:52
On 21.07-23:50, Simon Burge wrote:

> > AFAIK, rbldnsd has a somewhat optimized zonefile format.
> > When converted to BIND format, a 55MB rbldns zonefile
> > grows to 286MB.
> > I guess, rbldnsd generates TXT records dynamicallly
> > while BIND needs them in the zonefile.
>
> I wonder if you've hit the max process size limits?  Try "ulimit -a" for
> sh/ksh or "limit" for csh to see what the maximum data size is.

---------------------------- 8< ----------------------------
mmx2# ulimit -a
time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
coredump(blocks)     unlimited
data(kbytes)         131072
stack(kbytes)        2048
lockedmem(kbytes)    169882
memory(kbytes)       509648
nofiles(descriptors) 64
processes            160

That would explain it. Sorry for blaming bind for that.

I'm not testing further, as this is a production machine
and I'm comfortable with running rbldnsd.

I will keep an eye on those limits the next time
I do something with data like this, though.

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc@zhwin.ch