Subject: Re: Question on speeding up zone file access
To: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/21/2004 21:27:59
Christoph Kaegi wrote:

> Hm, I didn't think of that. How can I find out,
> where all the disk access is coming from?
>
> (A question I wanted to solve for a long time!)

You could try something like "iostat -x wd0 1" to see if the disk
traffic is read or write (or both).  Otherwise, you could try killing
off various processes until the traffic stops.  Not very scientific
though...

> I tried named once but it couldn't manage the zone files. I can't remember
> if it just died or if it took insanely long to start up...

Although I don't use named here on any large zones, I would have thought
that it should be able to easily handle 11MB of zone data.  What sort of
machine and how much RAM?

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/