Subject: Re: PCI Raid controllers
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/20/2004 20:30:41
Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 01:34:56PM -0400, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> Avoid the Silicon Image brand.
>
> Any details why?  A SATALink 3112 seems to work fine for me.

S0ren Schmidt, who has written much of the ATAng code and many of the
controller-specific ATA drivers under FreeBSD, considers them to be broken:

"Soeren is having a very hard time because there are so many broken
implementations out there that trying to get one going seems to often break
another.  It seems an impossible task... The manufacturers all seem to only
test with windows so unless we exactly duplicate the windows drivers
we may almost never be able to get it all to work perfectly."

[ This was from a thread about ICH5 + the Silicon Image 3112 SATA controller
on the freebsd-current list about three months ago, although there was more
discussion about mainboards using the nForce2 chipset + SI 3112 as well. ]

Your mileage may vary...

--
-Chuck