Subject: Re: Firefox and Java (was Firefox and plugins)
To: Lubomir Sedlacik <>
From: Florence HENRY <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/16/2004 16:00:56
> mk/
> # Used by mozilla binary packages to prefer the use of Linux
> # compatibility instead of native builds.
> # Possible: set, unset
> # Default: unset

Thanks! Firefox sees the plugins. However, don't you think that it would
be a goo idea to display a message when installing those package that they
won't work if firefox-bin was installed with MOZILLA_USE_LINUX= 0 ?

Howver, I still have problems running the applets:

By default, there is a symbolic link :
/usr/pkg/lib/firefox-linux/ ->

When I start firefox-linux, I get :

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library
[/usr/pkg/lib/firefox-linux/plugins/ undefined
symbol: __vt_17nsGetServiceByCID]

This message is also produced each time I try to see an applet. In
addition, about:plugins does not show the java plugin

If I try to modify the link pointed by ->

In this case, firefox-bin does not start with the error:

INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: No manager for initializing factory?

System error?:: Too many levels of symbolic links

Another try : ->

firefix-bin sees the java plugin (about:plugins), but when I try to see an
applet, firefox-bin crashes with :

Error: realpath(`/usr/pkg/lib/firefox-linux/plugins/')
Plugin: can't find plugins/../java directory
INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not start JavaVM!

System error?:: Too many levels of symbolic links

The problem may also come from Java itself. I cannot compile one single
java program with the sun-1.4 version.

This program :

class HelloWorld {
        System.out.println("Hello World!"); //Display the string.

compiles fine with the java compiler from gcc3, but I get a Memory fault

Note that if I make a ktrace, the name of the file doesn't appear once,
and I get exactly the same result if I omit the java filename...

And here is my ulimit -a:
time(cpu-seconds)    unlimited
file(blocks)         unlimited
coredump(blocks)     unlimited
data(kbytes)         1048576
stack(kbytes)        32768
lockedmem(kbytes)    339572
memory(kbytes)       1018716
nofiles(descriptors) 64
processes            160

Does somebody have an idea of how solve my problem ?

Thanks !
Florence HENRY