Subject: Unkillable program locks dir
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/14/2004 14:20:04
So yesterday I decided to try this torrent thing.  Installed ctorrent from
pkgsrc, and everything seemed to work well when I went to bed.

  Now I noted that I for some reason couldn't read the dir that ctorrent
was supposed to write to. (Maybe because I started two instances?)  'ls
stuff/torrent' just hangs and never returns. So I figured I should just
kill the processes and see what happens.

  Now, they won't respond to ^C or ^Z. I can't kill them. 'kill -STOP' and
'kill -9' has no effect at all.

  This is some kind of deadlock situation, obviously, but how can it be
fixed?  top says the processes uses no CPU, and are in the "uvn_fp2"
state.  When ls hangs, it is reported to be in the "vnlock" state.

  So it seems the torrent client holds on to some lock that has to do with
the filesystem.  Any help appreciated.  Even more so if it doesn't involve
rebooting or removing the locks via debugger.  :-)

Magnus