Subject: Re: LPRng vs CUPS
To: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@olib.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/10/2004 21:43:28
Why use *either* LPRng or CUPS?  (^&

I've been using the printer spool that ships with NetBSD.  I have been
able to interoperate with an LPRng-based network from my laptop (my
laptop was just a client in that network) and I find that the native
spooling has ample flexibility for me.

It might help if you would say what you intend to do with the printer.

(I was pushed to look into LPRng for my laptop.  I read through some
of the documentation, and concluded that I didn't actually need it
to talk to LPRng hosts.  Other than that, I haven't really looked
much at either LPRng or CUPS.  I figure if I ever run into a probelm
that I can't solve with the native spooler, I'll see what the
options are for alternatives.  (^&)