Subject: fxp0 nic and the 82562
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Mark Randelhoff <markr@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/07/2004 15:10:18
--=====================_24287391==.ALT

Hi All
Please would someone shed some light on the following problem:
- I have an intel motherboard - a D865GBF - also known as a bayfield
motherboard.
- it has on board an 82562 ethernet device.

I had a preinstalled NetBSD 1.6.2_Stable drive which I used to boot the
motherboard. On the first boot there was a warning regarding the EEPROM and
an instruction to reset the system before using the nic.

On the second boot the same warning appeared but the mac address was set
from what looks a valid address to all 0xF's.
The two boot excerpts shown below are from exactly the same machine - the
second boot following the first by about 5 minutes.

The actual nic device is a 82562EZ rather than the ET referred to in the
first boot.

I would really appreciate some advice.
Thanks
Mark

Boot 1:
netbsd: fxp0 at pci1 dev 8 function 0: Intel PRO/100 VM Network Controller
with 82562ET PHY, rev 1
netbsd: fxp0: interrupting at irq 5
netbsd: fxp0: failed to detect EEPROM size
netbsd: fxp0: WARNING: Disabling dynamic standby mode in EEPROM to work
around a
netbsd: fxp0: WARNING: hardware bug.  You must reset the system before
using this
netbsd: fxp0: WARNING: interface.
netbsd: fxp0: new EEPROM ID: 0xfffd
netbsd: fxp0: EEPROM checksum @ 0x3f: 0xffff -> 0x6eb0
netbsd: fxp0: Ethernet address ff:ff:f1:7e:d5:0f

Boot 2:
netbsd: fxp0 at pci1 dev 8 function 0: Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5) Network
Controller, rev 2
netbsd: fxp0: interrupting at irq 5
netbsd: fxp0: WARNING: Disabling dynamic standby mode in EEPROM to work
around a
netbsd: fxp0: WARNING: hardware bug.  You must reset the system before
using this
netbsd: fxp0: WARNING: interface.
netbsd: fxp0: new EEPROM ID: 0xfffd
netbsd: fxp0: EEPROM checksum @ 0x3f: 0xffff -> 0xbafb
netbsd: fxp0: Ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

!DSPAM:40ebfc83200581948312762!

--=====================_24287391==.ALT

Please would someone shed some light on the following problem:<br>
- I have an intel motherboard - a D865GBF - also known as a bayfield
motherboard.<br>
- it has on board an 82562 ethernet device.<br><br>
I had a preinstalled NetBSD 1.6.2_Stable drive which I used to boot the
motherboard. On the first boot there was a warning regarding the EEPROM
and an instruction to reset the system before using the nic.<br><br>
On the second boot the same warning appeared but the mac address was set
from what looks a valid address to all 0xF's.<br>
The two boot excerpts shown below are from exactly the same machine - the
second boot following the first by about 5 minutes.<br><br>
The actual nic device is a 82562EZ rather than the ET referred to in the
first boot.<br><br>
I would really appreciate some advice.<br>
Thanks<br>
Mark<br><br>
Boot 1:<br>
netbsd: fxp0 at pci1 dev 8 function 0: Intel PRO/100 VM Network
Controller with 82562ET PHY, rev 1<br>
netbsd: fxp0: interrupting at irq 5<br>
netbsd: fxp0: failed to detect EEPROM size<br>
netbsd: fxp0: WARNING: Disabling dynamic standby mode in EEPROM to work
around a<br>
netbsd: fxp0: WARNING: hardware bug.&nbsp; You must reset the system
before using this<br>
netbsd: fxp0: WARNING: interface.<br>
netbsd: fxp0: new EEPROM ID: 0xfffd<br>
netbsd: fxp0: EEPROM checksum @ 0x3f: 0xffff -&gt; 0x6eb0<br>
netbsd: fxp0: Ethernet address ff:ff:f1:7e:d5:0f<br><br>
Boot 2:<br>
netbsd: fxp0 at pci1 dev 8 function 0: Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5) Network
Controller, rev 2<br>
netbsd: fxp0: interrupting at irq 5<br>
netbsd: fxp0: WARNING: Disabling dynamic standby mode in EEPROM to work
around a<br>
netbsd: fxp0: WARNING: hardware bug.&nbsp; You must reset the system
before using this<br>
netbsd: fxp0: WARNING: interface.<br>
netbsd: fxp0: new EEPROM ID: 0xfffd<br>
netbsd: fxp0: EEPROM checksum @ 0x3f: 0xffff -&gt; 0xbafb<br>
netbsd: fxp0: Ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff<br>