Subject: Re: NetBSD and devfs
To: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/07/2004 00:20:46
On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 11:21:14PM +0100, sigsegv@rambler.ru wrote:
> Does anyone know if there are plans to implement devfs in NetBSD?
> FreeBSD has one, and some other OSes too. I remember all the quarrels
> between Linux users when Linux developers dropped devfs in favor of udev
> (user space devfs), and to be honest I don't really understand which one
> is better. So would there be any advantages in implementing devfs for
> NetBSD?

The bit I read on Linux devfs I read made it completely broken (the driver
has to supply the data area for every device it might have...)

I have thought of doing it - but don't have the time.
The plan was to copy kernfs - but make the drivers give skeleton
information for complete sets of entries.  So that items can exist is you
try to open them, but 'ls' will only show things that it is sane to open.

Also need to read a file to get non-driver entries and local permission
changes.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk