Subject: Re: Ifdefault, ipf, multihoming
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Marc Tooley <netbsdMLpostNO@SPAM.quake.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/06/2004 15:04:07
On Sunday 04 July 2004 03:55, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> In article <40E27E30.9020000@er-grp.com>,
>
> 	Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com> writes:
> > Is it possible to emulate Paul Vixies ifdefault:
> >
> > http://gatekeeper.dec.com/pub/misc/vixie/ifdefault/
> >
> > using ipf or other means ?
>
> You can use the "fastroute" keyword in "ipf.conf". But I'm not sure
> if that works with non point-to-point interfaces.
>
> 	Kind regards

If the internal interface of one of your machines needs to answer
incoming traffic *out* the same interface--with the correct, expected
IP address, rather than dumping the private IP address of your internal
network into an outgoing packet on your public interface, you used to
be able to use the following:

pass out quick on fxp1 to fxp0:g.a.t.e from i.n.t.r/32 to any

...where "g.a.t.e" is the gateway of the "other" internet connection and
i.n.t.r is the internal IP address of the current machine.

Unfortunately this no longer appears to work with a modern -current.
Perhaps this issue has been fixed by now? I'm just rebuilding world at
the moment and will find out.

-Marc