Subject: Upgrading 1.6 to 2.0 beta via snapshot
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/06/2004 12:22:23
Hi there.

  I'm (still) running 1.6 and am looking into upgrading to 2.0 beta
(getting tired of waiting for the release).  It seems to me the least
painful way is through the snapshots on the releng site, so I got the most
recent available for i386 (which is what I intend to install on) which was
from -0623.

  The INSTALL document in the distribution tree is just a slightly patched
"1.6-era" version as far as I can see (with some confusing errors like
referring to the "NetBSD-2.0_BETA/" subdirectory, etc), but most relevant
parts appear to be OK.

  Now, the problem I have is where it says:

   Upgrade path to NetBSD 1.6
     If you are not installing your system ``from scratch'' but instead are
     going to upgrade an existing system already running NetBSD you need to
     know which versions you can upgrade with NetBSD 1.6.

..and it really does say "1.6".  Since this would appear to be a fairly
major upgrade (from 1.x to 2.x after all), I would like to know what kinds
of trouble I am likely to run into if I choose to do a straight upgrade.
I could also opt for a reinstall, but it seems to be more work with
backing up config files, recompiling packages, etc.  Or am I just setting
myself up for trouble later on if I upgrade instead of reinstall?

  I have tried to find any relevant documentation, but even google has
failed to turn up anything remotely useful (and the official netbsd.org
site is particularly useless in this regard).  I have noted a suspicious
lack of similar posts on this list -- have I missed something everyone
else already knows?

Any help, pointers, own experiences and general tips would be greatly
appreciated.

Magnus