Subject: Re: pushing wad/pac with dhcp/dns for proxy autoconfiguration
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Amadeus <poff@sixbit.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/03/2004 09:25:18
On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 07:27:06AM +1000, Luke Mewburn wrote:

> I have been successfully using WPAD for a long time,
> via DNS only.  My Windows hosts do get their IP address,
> domain-name, DNS servers (etc) from DHCP though.
>
> Are you sending your domain name via DHCP;
> 	options domain-name "domain.org";
> Is there a "wpad" entry in the domain that the Windows host is in?
>
> tcpdump ?

Thanks for the reply. I ran checks on the dns and httpd server using both
dhcp and just dns, and the CNAME was never getting queried by the browser,
nor the file getting pulled.

I am on a samba sdomain, so I tried on a non-domain account and it worked
like a charm! The dhcp version works just as well as the dns version.

It seems I have a problem with doing this is in a domain.

I guess I can use dhcp for all users, and those on a domain I will just use
a login script to write to their registry... which isn't perfect but will
work.

Thanks, I'll maybe try the samba list. I had even set the primary suffix of
the domain as the dhcp given one - but it fails to be seeked.

Amadeus

--
poff@sixbit.org

Please do not carbon copy replies to me