Subject: Re: pushing wad/pac with dhcp/dns for proxy autoconfiguration
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/01/2004 07:27:06
--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg

On Wed, Jun 30, 2004 at 06:17:40PM +0700, Amadeus wrote:
  | Hello again,
  |=20
  | I recently found out about the wonderful world of "Autoconfiguration" i=
n=20
  | browsers for proxying.
  |=20
  | At the moment I'm entering manually the proxy to all cleint browsers, w=
hich=20
  | is a headache.
  |=20
  | Following many sources I have tried the following:
  |=20
  | wpad.dat on wpad.domain.org
  |=20
  | (specifying the script manually works, so the script is not a problem)
  |=20
  | dhcpd.conf:
  | option wpad code 252 text;
  | option wpad "http://wpad.domain.org/wpad.dat"
  |=20
  | dns:
  | wpad.domain.org

I have been successfully using WPAD for a long time,
via DNS only.  My Windows hosts do get their IP address,
domain-name, DNS servers (etc) from DHCP though.

  | Trying to retrieve:
  | http://wpad.domain.org/wpad.dat
  |=20
  | is successful manually. Using the IP works as well.

Are you sending your domain name via DHCP;
	options domain-name "domain.org";
Is there a "wpad" entry in the domain that the Windows host is in?

  | I even added the following in httpd.conf for apache:
  |=20
  | AddType application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig .dat

I didn't need to bother with that.

You _may_ need to ensure that the web server is setup as
a HTTP/1.0 "real IP" address server not a HTTP/1.1 virtual
server.

  | All of which fails to work.
  |=20
  | Checking apache's logs, the wpad.dat file is never even queried.
  |=20
  | Any ideas what to do?

tcpdump ?

--dTy3Mrz/UPE2dbVg