Subject: pushing wad/pac with dhcp/dns for proxy autoconfiguration
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Amadeus <poff@sixbit.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/30/2004 18:17:40
Hello again,

I recently found out about the wonderful world of "Autoconfiguration" in
browsers for proxying.

At the moment I'm entering manually the proxy to all cleint browsers, which
is a headache.

Following many sources I have tried the following:

wpad.dat on wpad.domain.org

(specifying the script manually works, so the script is not a problem)

dhcpd.conf:
option wpad code 252 text;
option wpad "http://wpad.domain.org/wpad.dat"

dns:
wpad.domain.org

Trying to retrieve:
http://wpad.domain.org/wpad.dat

is successful manually. Using the IP works as well.

I even added the following in httpd.conf for apache:

AddType application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig .dat

All of which fails to work.

Checking apache's logs, the wpad.dat file is never even queried.

Any ideas what to do?

The other solution is using a login script for NT to run a reg script, but
I would prefer the above.

Thanks,

Amadeus
--