Subject: Re: pppd "write: No buffer space available"
To: Carl Brewer <carl@bl.echidna.id.au>
From: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/27/2004 15:13:44

> Every now and then (week or so) they see the following
> on the console :
>
> Jun 15 11:59:19 fw pppd[165]: write: No buffer space available
>
> And the link seems to die (I can't confirm link death,
> they normally reboot the box, which isn't the right thing to
> do ....).  I haven't been onsite when this has happened,
> so I can't confirm what's going on at the time.
>
> Has anyone seen this before and have any suggestions?  We're about

as a workaround do

ping -c 3 <other side> || (kill -INT `cat /var/run/ppp0.pid`;sleep 30;pppd call <nameoflink>)

but yes it is a but in NetBSD since at least 1.5.1 (oldest i used).

bad news is that com/puc driver or pppd itself is even more broken on 1.6
and 2.0. i use separate machine as router for 12 pppd links with
115-921kbps speeds