Subject: Re: maxproc of cron?
To: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/26/2004 19:57:29
On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 11:32:05AM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi> writes:
> > How can I set the maxproc limit of cron higher?
>
> Well, you can always change the script that starts it (or add a hook
> script that is executed before cron is started but in the same shell
> instance...)

I think I'll try changing the defaults in my kernel first, although
allowing 768 MB for every single process that may go crazy doesn't sound
like a good idea..

> Incidently, I think that a lot of our default limits should probably
> be set dynamically based on a formula that takes processor speed and
> system memory into account.

At least, there should be a /etc/syslimits or some such to set the default
limits in an "official way".

Running XFree and kde, I usually end up with over 200 processes on my
single-user machine and the default limits are just too limited.

  -jm