Subject: Re: Choosing a laptop for NetBSD
To: Wouter Klouwen <dublet@dublet.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/22/2004 10:54:21
In message <20040622145918.GA15884@dublet.org>, Wouter Klouwen writes:
>Dear list,
>
>my current laptop is getting a bit old, and is in urgent need for
>replacement. I would like my new laptop to run nothing but NetBSD, and
>support normal operation (eg, sound, pcmcia, wireless, XVideo, TV/S-Video
>out, adjusting screen brightness).
>I am considering an IBM Thinkpad, the R51 or R50e in particular. Does
>anyone have any experiences with it, or perhaps can recommend another
>similarly priced and featured laptop?

I just brought up NetBSD 2.0beta on an R51 for my daughter.  So far, so
good.  The GigE card (wm0) and the 802.11a/b/g (ath0) are both working
well, though we've only tested the latter with 802.11b access points
thus far.  X was no more problematic than usual.  Suspend/resume works,
as does the audio card.  We have had one crash, apparently related to
removing the machine from the port replicator, but we haven't fully
investigated that yet; the machine is too new.  I don't think I've
checked the USB or PCMICA slots yet; I definitely haven't adjusted
screen brightness, nor do I even know if there's a TV output jack.