Subject: Re: Forcing real GNU gzip onto the system?
To: Chris Baird <cjb@brushtail.apana.org.au>
From: Chris Pinnock <cjep@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/22/2004 07:52:01
--MZf7D3rAEoQgPanC

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 03:17:04AM +1000, Chris Baird wrote:
>  > GNU gzip is no longer in the NetBSD source tree as of 2.0, and it
>  > is very unlikely to return, so either PRs need fixing, or you'll
>  > have to copy a different binary there manually.
>=20
> Yes.... I know....
>=20
> For the comprehensionly-challenged, I'm soliciting ideas how I can
> best 'cleanly' maintain a munged base system (...without going as far
> as a LOCALBASE=3D/usr in mk.conf), preferably something that is robust
> across complete source rebuilds.
>=20

Get rid of the word gzip in the SUBDIR declaration in usr.bin/Makefile=20
in your local src sandbox would be a good way to start this. Then you can
update gzip in base manually (obviously you will still have to cp the
GNU binary there, but at least it won't get over written on source builds).

Best wishes,
Chris

--=20
Chris (E3AE C99C 0E4B 89CF DDCC FFF9 9683 2D39 D426 A42C)

--MZf7D3rAEoQgPanC

--MZf7D3rAEoQgPanC--