Subject: Re: Forcing real GNU gzip onto the system?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Baird <cjb@brushtail.apana.org.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/22/2004 03:17:04
 > GNU gzip is no longer in the NetBSD source tree as of 2.0, and it
 > is very unlikely to return, so either PRs need fixing, or you'll
 > have to copy a different binary there manually.

Yes.... I know....

For the comprehensionly-challenged, I'm soliciting ideas how I can
best 'cleanly' maintain a munged base system (...without going as far
as a LOCALBASE=/usr in mk.conf), preferably something that is robust
across complete source rebuilds.

To date, the best idea I've came up with, that works with the way I
maintain my systems, is making a "pkgsrc/local/" with the replacement
utilties using a forced LOCALBASE, and then listing these in
pkgsrc.conf. However, I haven't quite got it to work cleanly yet. I'm
posting now so I can hear how other people have tackled the problem.

--
Chris Baird,, <cjb@brushtail.apana.org.au>