Subject: cron / crontab mystery
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Magnus Eriksson <magetoo@fastmail.fm>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/17/2004 03:36:10
Hi.

  I'm on a 1.6 system.  /etc/daily runs each day (night) at 3.15, and
/etc/weekly at 4.30, as in the original installation.

  Now I find this annoying, since I'm often at the machine, using it at
3.15, so I thought I'd change it.

  I started editing /var/cron/tabs/root, to set the times to 9.15 and
10.30 instead (when I'm either not at home or still asleep).  I saved and
then decided to try crontab -e (edit), so I did.  My changes were
obviously there, so I saved and figured that was that.

  Now, looking at the time of this message, I suppose you all can figure
out what happened at 3.15 ?

  The man page for cron seems to say I did everything I had to:

       Additionally, cron checks each minute to see if its  spool
       directory's  modtime  (or the modtime on /etc/crontab) has
       changed, and if it has, cron will then examine the modtime
       on all crontabs and reload those which have changed.  Thus
       cron need not be restarted whenever a crontab file is mod-
       ified.   Note that the crontab(1) command updates the mod-
       time of the spool directory whenever it changes a crontab.

  crontab -l (as root) shows the changes, and they are (still) present in
/var/cron/tabs/root .

  Is the error in the cron, in the manpage, or in my understanding of the
whole thing?

Magnus