Subject: Re: pppd "write: No buffer space available"
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/15/2004 09:15:14
In message <Pine.NEB.4.60.0406150751390.491@rapture.immanent.net>, Frederick Br
uckman writes:
>On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Carl Brewer wrote:
>
>> Frederick Bruckman wrote:

>>> I've seen it too. A work-around seems to be to disable compression,
>>> or reduce it -- with "deflate 9", I don't get that anymore at all.
>>> The problem may be fixed in current and NetBSD 2.0, as they have a
>>> newer version of pppd, but I haven't tried them yet for this.
>>
>> I'll give that a try and see how it goes.  Won't that kill
>> some performance though?

A lot will depend on your traffic mix.  For many people, the bulk of
the bytes come from jpg and gif files, and those aren't further
compressed by pppd.  OTOH, Powerpoint and Word files are huge and
compress very well, which probably says something about the actual
semantic content of most of them...