Subject: How do you account ip bandwidth?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Amadeus <poff@sixbit.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/02/2004 10:06:48
Hello all,

I was wondering how any of you do "accounting" on your networks connected
to the internet.

For example I have one netbsd gateway to the internet, connected to some
client machines.

I have been asked previously to give a list of bandwidth consumption for
each machine (ip address).

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

I've been using ipaudit, which counts control traffic and doesn't work
easily for natt'ed addresses (not in pkgsrc?).

Ie. I listen on th eexternal interface, so of course all traffic is coming
from th eone external ip. I could listen on both interfaces and compare but
this seems a bit complicated.

I'm using ipfilter and was told it has some native accounting features, but
does anyone use them?

Ideally would be:

-per day (or per hour)
-incoming.outgoing traffic per ip address, per port

For now I have squid with a small script to parse that and spit out http
traffic, but I need total (pop3/smtp/chat) traffic.

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
poff@sixbit.org

Please do not carbon copy replies to me