Subject: bin set to 700 - no user logins... why?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Amadeus <poff@sixbit.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/22/2004 07:37:02
Hello

I was adding users recently, using pdbedit from samba as well, and setting
the permissions of their home directories.

I tried to login and was getting login: /bin/ksh permission denied

It took me a while (root login from console worked) but I saw the

/bin
/usr/bin
/usr/pkg/bin
/sbin
/usr/sbin

(I may have left some out - this fs from membory - but the result was that
user logins wouldn't work)

Were all set with perms 700. I added the x bit for users and it worked.

My question is: what would have done something like that? I certainly
didn't manually type the permissions of all the binary directories by hand,
and I was oinly modifying users home directories.

Is there some kind of automatic procedure for this (ie. system function)?
Or should I be worried about possible intrusions? This just "happened"
recently.

Thanks

Amadeus

--