Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 backward compatibility problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Parkes, Lloyd <Lloyd.Parkes@eds.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/19/2004 10:08:27
> There are fixes for parsing problems on the way. And besides that I
> don't
> think that enforcing a stricter syntax is a bad thing.,

I'm more concerned about the lack of documentation than anything. I've
finally found the INSTALL doco (where I should have looked for it in
the first place) and it still mostly refers to updating from 1.5 to
1.6.

> That sounds like your kernel configuration doesn't include the
> "COMPAT_16" option which is required to run pre 2.0 binaries.

I'm running a GENERIC kernel at the moment. I've just checked and it
does have COMPAT_16 set. I'll have to dig some more. I don't recall the
core dump saying anything about an illegal system call, so I assumed
that the compat stuff that was in place wasn't working.

When I've got something concrete to report I'll raise some PRs.

Thanks,
Lloyd Parkes