Subject: NetBSD 2.0 backward compatibility problems
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Parkes, Lloyd <Lloyd.Parkes@eds.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/18/2004 16:40:12
I went and installed NetBSD 2.0_BETA on my NetBSD 1.6.1 machine. An
i386 firewall. I've noticed a few things that I can't find
documentation for.

1) With the ipfilter upgrade, ipf(8) is now much stricter about
enforcing correct syntax for ipf.conf. It no longer silently adds the
required srcdst field.

2) Apache broke big time. It always core dumped in _sys___sigsuspend14
which was being called from my old package of pth-2. I suspect that
this bit of backward compatibility isn't quite right. I trashed many of
my old packages because I needed to rebuild a complete enough lump of
pkgsrc to get Apache going. I might actually have some backups on tape.

I took the opportunity to upgrade from Apache 1 to Apache 2 and Apache2
dies in what looks like some regex cleanup routine whenever it gets
restarted. It also doesn't cope well if it's scoreboard file exists
when it starts up. I'll have to dig deeper and maybee PR.

Thanks,
Lloyd Parkes

Wellington Unix Team
EDS (New Zealand) Limited