Subject: Re: Problem low level formatting a SCSI harddisk
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/13/2004 22:41:58
On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 07:58:38AM +0000, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> 	Hello,
>
> a few ago I bought three used Fujutsi 18GB SCSI disk on eBay for my
> ULTRA60. When I tried to install NetBSD on them yesterday I discovered
> a problem unfortunately:
>
> sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <FUJITSU, MAA3182SCX, 2411> disk fixed
> sd0: 17581 MB, 9041 cyl, 19 head, 207 sec, 516 bytes/sect x 35728250 sectors
>                                            ^^^
> It appears that they have previously been used in some kind of storage array
> which keeps a checksum which each data block. Because NetBSD can not handle
> that blocksize I'm trying to low level format the disks with "scsictl"
> which doesn't work unfortunately:
>
> # scsictl sd0 format 512
> sd0: no disk label
> sd0(esiop0:0:0:0): unhandled message 0x23

Hum, this is the "ignore wide residue" message.
I should really try to implement this one in (e)esiop.

If you can wait a bit, I'll try to look at this this week-end. It shouldn't
be too hard, I just have to read closely the SCSI standards to understand
what it really means.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>