Subject: Re: DLT or DAT72?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/05/2004 12:36:57
On May 5, 2004, at 12:05 PM, Jukka Marin wrote:
> Looking for a larger backup media, I was offered a DLT drive and a HP
> DAT72 drive.  The DLT drives cost twice as much and the DLT tapes are
> 25% more expensive than DAT72 tapes.  I'm being told that DLT is more
> reliable.

I've been using DLT and now sDLT drives for about 5 years.  I've got
about three years of daily incrementals on DLT-III, about a year on
DLT-IV,
and we switched to sDLT 220 two years ago.  Using Legato
Networker/Solstice Backup on a Sun, although tar and dump work fine as
well.

With regard to reliability: so far, so good.  I've had one or two tapes
which failed the first time they were used with a write error, but the
error was detected (not ignored), and I've not yet had a tape that was
supposedly written OK fail when read.  I've restored large amounts of
data from the tapes successfully, say ~200 GB read from two dozen tapes
out of the ~90 that have been written to.  DLT cartidges are much
sturdier than 4-mm DDS DAT tapes, and they
have a better tape transport mechanism.

--
-Chuck