Subject: Re: delay needed after started named?
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/04/2004 15:50:01
In message <621227E8-9E03-11D8-A90C-000A9578C270@beer.org>, Herb Peyerl writes:

>On 4-May-04, at 1:35 PM, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> The particular problem case is us.pool.ntp.org, which selects among a
>> large set of servers.  I suppose I could write a little daemon that
>> queries for it (and other important servers) after things are booted,
>> and changes the "static" entries in /etc/hosts...
>
>At the risk of causing offense, is there another nameserver you can put
>at the bottom of your resolv.conf?
>
>Maybe your ISP's?

Not easily, for several reasons.  First, the machine moves around, and
from inside the corporate firewall I can't get to outside nameservers
directly.  Second, web browsers seem to read resolv.conf once, at
startup, which means it needs to be stable; 127.0.0.1 does the trick.
(I have a bizarre script in /etc/dhclient-enter-hooks that replaces
make_resolv_conf() with something that builds a named.conf file and
then restarts named (and ntpd).  That usually works, though I sometimes
encounter weird !@#$%^ hotel boxes that really want me to use a
resolv.conf file instead.

Some of that goes back to an issue Erik Fair posed recently (on another
mailing list, I think): there are too many components that bind too
soon, and hence have to be restarted if the networking configuration
changes.  He's right, though I don't see an easy general solution at
the moment.