Subject: Re: ICH5 Audio for 1.6.2
To: Ian McIntosh <ianm@cat.co.za>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/29/2004 09:48:45
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Ian McIntosh wrote:

> I am having trouble playing audio through my onboard Intel i82801EB (ICH5)
> Audio Device.
> I have tried using splay to listen to a .wav file with little success and
> even
> tried to cat a file to the /dev/audio and got "device busy".

See what other program is holding the device open, and kill it:

    fstat | egrep audio\|sound

> #> cat myfile > /dev/audio

That doesn't usually work. Try "audioplay myfile".

> The relevant section of the dmesg is shown below (of concern is the unknown
> codec portion):
>
> auich0 at pci0 dev 31 function 5: i82801EB (ICH5) AC-97 Audio
> auich0: interrupting at irq 3
> auich0: The 3rd codec is ready.
> auich0: The 3rd codec is ready.
> auich0: unknown (0xffff5375) codec; headphone, 20 bit DAC, no 3D stereo

It may not be of any importance. Some hardware has several functions,
and the driver presents them each as a different "device" (perhaps one
to record, one to play). What's important is whether or not the main
function is attached as audio0. Do

    grep ^audio /var/run/dmesg.boot

and if you have more than one logical audio device, try feeding them
one at at time to "audioplay" with the "-d" option.

Frederick