Subject: Re: slow disk access with large cpg values
To: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@tiscali.cz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/21/2004 13:01:29
On Wed, 21 Apr 2004, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> what i can observe now is that copying/moving files from disk with large
> cpg (LARGE) to disk with small cpg (SMALL) is much slower than copying
> in the other direction. as example - i have ~150mb file.
> moving file LARGE -> SMALL takes 60.52 sec (measured with time)
> moving file SMALL -> LARGE takes  8.95 sec (measured with time)

There are other, more significant changes between 1.6.2 and current,
particularly in the way files are laid out on the disk. If you assume
that writing is the bottleneck, your result suggests a huge win for
the new dirpref code, but there isn't really enough information:
we'd need to see OLD -> OLD and NEW -> NEW, and perhaps whether newly
written files can be read back any faster from the old volume than the
old files that were created under 1.6.2.

> can this be connected with the different cpg values? or where could the
> problem be? when i try to move it in midnightcommander, i can see that
> it goes fluently for S->L, but exhibits several "lockups" with the other
> direction and waiting long time at the end of the operation when
> indicator says that 100% of the operation is finished...

There's not enough information there to draw a conclusion. Do you mean
that the command returns quickly, but the operation takes a long time
to commit to disk? Are operations on the old volume really slower than
they were under 1.6.2, or are they just slower than operations on new
volumes? Are the disks of the same model? Are you using softdeps? If
not, have you tried using softdeps?

Frederick