Subject: Re: disklabel cpg values
To: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@tiscali.cz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/20/2004 10:39:09
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> i am adding new hdd (20gb) to my i386 machine. i created a single
> partition, edited disklabel and newfs'ed the drive. what surprises me is
> the value of cpg/sgs - it is 28456. when i compare it to values of
> partitions on my second disk (86, the disk is almost the same size) it
> seems pretty large. is something wrong or is it ok?
>
> i was trying to look for the answer on the web, but found nothing that
> would make it absolutely clear for me. usually there is written that
> newfs itslef decides what should be the ideal values...

It's OK. Changes were made to the disk layout algorithms and "newfs"
at about the same time last year, at which time the "-c" option to
"newfs" also quietly disappeared. You may find the discussion in the
tech-perform archives interesting and relevant. The chief benefit to
having fewer, larger cylinder groups is obvious: "fsck" on large,
nearly empty partitions is now much quicker than before.

Frederick