Subject: controlling start of X servers with xdm
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hanspeter Roth <hampi@rootshell.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/17/2004 20:57:50
Hello,

I'd like to run two X sessions. At least one should be launched by
xdm. When I run a second X session without xdm it may happen that
after a while the two servers interfere with each other. So I'm using
xdm to launch both X sessions.

The Xservers file looks like:

:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt06 :1 -nolisten tcp -xf86config XF86Config2
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt05 :0 -nolisten tcp

This usually causes the server on display :0 to appear first. This is
what is desired.
However sometimes the server on display :1 appears first.

Interestingly it seems that the setup phase of the second X server
only starts running when the display is switched by ctl-alt-fx.

How can I make sure that the server on display :0 _always_ appears
first?

-Hanspeter