Subject: Re: ifconfig
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/13/2004 08:54:44
--6sX45UoQRIJXqkqR

Bruce J.A. Nourish wrote:
> > cat > $HOME/.profile <<EOF
=20
> If they knew what they were doing, there'd probably be an extra ">" in
> there.

That was surely a embarassing typo of mine. I can't remember that I made
this typo in a shell often, a few time surely. However, I don't think
I presented a counter-example to what I wrote by this. And I couldn't
think about something to make the shell-syntax less "dangerous" without
screwing millions of scripts and programs. If nobody relied on the
"dotted squad" (including the zero-dotted variant), one could (rather)
safely ignore this "feature" from ifconfig.
Since (at least) two people rely on this and rest of the world doesn't
care, I'll file it and forget about it. As it's open source I can fix
it for myself anyway.

--=20
Christian

--6sX45UoQRIJXqkqR