Subject: Re: ifconfig
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/13/2004 07:50:27
--vEao7xgI/oilGqZ+

enami tsugutomo wrote:
> joda@pdc.kth.se (Johan Danielsson) writes:
> I often use 0 as shorthand of 0.0.0.0

Ok, shorthand use. But would you use that in a script or program? If 0
were not acceptable any longer, ifconfig would barf at you and you'd
have to try luck again. At least, you're the only one which objected
so far (if I didn't misunderstand the other replies). Or maybe:

cat > $HOME/.profile <<EOF
I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING=YES
export I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING
EOF

I understand that ifconfig accepts these due to using inet_aton() which
supports the obnoxious "dotted squad" notation and even C-notation of
integers - taking the host endian into account. Was adding support for
those to 4.3BSD the first prize of any obfuscated C contest?

Christian

--vEao7xgI/oilGqZ+

--vEao7xgI/oilGqZ+--