Subject: Re: Thunderbird ?
To: Florence HENRY <Florence.Henry@obspm.fr>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/07/2004 06:48:53
On Apr 7, 2004, at 6:32 AM, Florence HENRY wrote:

> I've seen that Thunderbird has been included in the pkgsrc few weeks
> ago.
> I tried to install it, but it failed because
> ===> thunderbird-bin-0.5 is not available for NetBSD-1.6ZK-i386
>
> I had a look into the Makefile, and I saw :
> ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM+=     Linux-*-i[3-6]86 SunOS-5.[89]*-i386
> SunOS-5.[89]*-sparc
>
> Does this mean that no-one running NetBSD can install it (even with the
> linux emulation packages) ? Why isn't it like Firefox ?

This is true.  'pkgsrc' isn't just for NetBSD anymore.  So there are
packages in pkgsrc that won't work on NetBSD.  I wasn't happy about it
either but such is life.

There's a thunderbird for NetBSD in pkgsrc-wip and I got it to work at
one point, but it has the same problem hanging in DNS lookups as does
firefox; which makes it effectively useless.