Subject: Re: /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/* evaluated before filesystem checks
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Hanspeter Roth <hampi@rootshell.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/07/2004 10:58:47
  On Apr 06 at 19:11, Chuck Yerkes spoke:

> Quoting Jeremy C. Reed (reed@reedmedia.net):
> >
> > Yes. If it is on a different file system, then copy the rc.d files to your
> > /etc/rc.d/ directory.
>

> I tend to make /usr/pkg/etc/ a symlink to /etc/pkg.
> It keeps my configs under one dir (/etc/) which is always mounted
> (well, as often as /etc, so when the OS is in a useful state).

On my machine /usr is not mounted when rcorder is run at boot time.
So if /etc/pkg points to /usr/pkg/etc/ it would probably be useless
to have rc_rcorder_flags="/etc/pkg/rc.d/*". (It's only useful for
shutdown however.)

> And if you teach make and rc.conf to look in /etc/pkg/rc.d/, then
> you don't really CARE if /usr/pkg is mounted when the order is
> chosen.

No, /usr is probably not mounted when rcorder is run at boot time.

> (also, I *presume* that /usr and /usr/local and /usr/pkg might be on
> a shared resource (NFS server).  Long habit.  Per machien configs go
> in /etc.  sudoers is about the only config that's multi-machine aware.)

This may be usefull in a NFS environment. And mounting /usr/pkg from
an NFS server is probably only usefull if you have a single platform.
I have independent machines (also a laptop). They have all their own
sudoers.

-Hanspeter