Subject: Re: Sendmail/Procmail question: too many delivery processes
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck Yerkes <chuck+nbsd@2004.snew.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/01/2004 16:28:53
Quoting Todd Vierling (tv@duh.org):
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Brian de Alwis wrote:
> : When I fetchmail, I have dozens of procmail processes spawned, and
> : under a big load of messages this will exhaust the process limits.
>
> : I've tried to change the MaxQueueChildren and MaxRunnersPerQueue
> : settings in my .mc file (attached), but to no avail.  I'm sure I'm
> : missing something simple.
>
> Make an explicit submission command for fetchmail:
>     /usr/sbin/sendmail -odd yourlocalaccount

Better (and equiv) is
   /usr/sbin/sendmail -ODeliveryMode=deferred yourlocalaccount
It's just easier to read later without a manual.

You could also serialize them with "interactive" where it
won't come back until it's done (and forked the procmail,
but you reduce the sendmails spun off).  ("-ODeliveryMode=interactive")