Subject: Re: Sendmail/Procmail question: too many delivery processes
To: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/01/2004 16:16:25
On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Brian de Alwis wrote:

: When I fetchmail, I have dozens of procmail processes spawned, and
: under a big load of messages this will exhaust the process limits.

: I've tried to change the MaxQueueChildren and MaxRunnersPerQueue
: settings in my .mc file (attached), but to no avail.  I'm sure I'm
: missing something simple.

Make an explicit submission command for fetchmail:

    /usr/sbin/sendmail -odd yourlocalaccount

The -odd will only put the message in Sendmail's queue and return rapidly,
leaving the messages to be processed during the next queue run.  If you
don't have Sendmail running in the background, you will need to run the
queue once manually afterwards with the command "sendmail -q" (as root).

Provided you're running procmail via Sendmail "local_procmail" or by
invoking it in your .forward file, procmail will still get run correctly.
This will do mostly single-process delivery to your mailbox in the end.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>