Subject: Sendmail/Procmail question: too many delivery processes
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/01/2004 12:58:50
--Boundary_(ID_LgSjbjo+96Ej2WOllwAQKw)

I know I'm missing something, but I haven't been able to figure it
out from web searches and reading the Sendmail README and documentation.

When I fetchmail, I have dozens of procmail processes spawned, and
under a big load of messages this will exhaust the process limits.
E.g.:

    $ ls
    bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
    $

I've tried to change the MaxQueueChildren and MaxRunnersPerQueue
settings in my .mc file (attached), but to no avail.  I'm sure I'm
missing something simple.

I'm running sendmail locally on my laptop to do message delivery
only (I fetch my e-mail from other servers using fetchmail).  I
use procmail as my local delivery.  The laptop might have many
different names depending on where I connect.  I should also note
that I'm running sendmail suid root and with no submit.cf file: I
wasn't sure how to generate submit.cf, and my setup prior to
submit.cf worked fine.  The caveats on using MSP in
/usr/share/sendmail/README seemed to apply to me.

Maybe I should just use postfix. :-)

Brian.

--
     Brian de Alwis | Graduate student | Software Practices Lab | UBC
"There is much pleasure to be gained in useless knowledge." - Bertrand Russell

--Boundary_(ID_LgSjbjo+96Ej2WOllwAQKw)

include(`../m4/cf.m4')
OSTYPE(bsd4.4)dnl
DOMAIN(generic)dnl

FEATURE(`use_ct_file')dnl

FEATURE(genericstable)
CGlocalhost.localdomain localhost bsd.laptop
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl

FEATURE(`accept_unresolvable_domains')dnl
FEATURE(`accept_unqualified_senders')dnl
FEATURE(`nocanonify')
define(`confDIRECT_SUBMISSION_MODIFIERS', `C')

define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`bsd.laptop')dnl
define(`confDONT_PROBE_INTERFACES',true)dnl
define(`confBIND_OPTS', `-DNSRCH -DEFNAMES')dnl

define(`SMTP_MAILER_FLAGS', `e9')dnl
define(`confCON_EXPENSIVE',`True')dnl
define(`confTO_QUEUEWARN',`24h')dnl
define(`confMAX_QUEUE_CHILDREN',`5')dnl
define(`confMAX_RUNNERS_PER_QUEUE',`1')dnl

define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH',`/usr/pkg/bin/procmail')dnl
FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl

define(`LUSER_RELAY', `local:bsd')dnl
LOCAL_USER(root)

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet, address=0.0.0.0, Name=MTA')dnl
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Family=inet6, address=::, Name=MTA6, Modifiers=O')dnl

MAILER(local)dnl
MAILER(smtp)dnl

--Boundary_(ID_LgSjbjo+96Ej2WOllwAQKw)--