Subject: Announcing the pkgsrc-2004Q1 branch
To: None <netbsd-announce@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/29/2004 07:51:56
The pkgsrc-2004Q1 branch was created last night, and the freeze on
committing to the pkgsrc trunk is now over.

The old pkgsrc branch, pkgsrc-2003Q4, is no longer supported. We shall
support pkgsrc-2004Q1 until the next branch, planned for June 2004.

pkgsrc-2004Q1 has a lot of advances over the old branch, pkgsrc-2003Q4:

+ Much work has taken place on porting pkgsrc to other platforms.  The
current list of platforms supported (to a greater or lesser degree)

  * AIX
  * BSDOS
  * Darwin
  * FreeBSD
  * IRIX
  * Linux
  * NetBSD
  * OpenBSD
  * SunOS

+ there are 4518 actively-maintained and supported packages included
in pkgsrc-2004Q1.  If there is a package which you would like to see
in the packages collection, please let us know, and we'll do our best
to add it.

+ pkgsrc-2004Q1 includes:

  * some buildlink3 conversion,
  * libtool 1.5,
  * kde 3.2,
  * gnome 2.4,
  * many other upgraded packages, as well as
  * self-hosting pkgsrc (i.e.  integration of bootstrap-pkgsrc).

+ the roadmap for the forthcoming releases includes:

  * branching pkgsrc-2004Q2 in early June 2004, with complete buildlink3
  * branching pkgsrc-2004Q3 in early September 2004 to include pkgviews
  * branching pkgsrc-2004Q4 in early December 2004

Alistair Crooks
On behalf of the pkgsrc team.