Subject: dhclient-script question regarding resolv.conf
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Thomas <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/26/2004 12:58:50
	In the script, dhclient-script, where does this script get the values
for the variables: new_domain_name and new_domain_name_servers?  It
appears that if these values are empty, /etc/resolv.conf is not created
and populated with information.
	My reason for asking is that the file, /etc/resolv.conf, is not being
populated with this information after startup when the command,
dhclient, is run.  Running dhclient from the command line doesn't make
any difference.  I have had the same results with no /etc/dhclient.conf
file and one that has values in it.
	As a stop gap measure, I am using an AWK script that parses the file
/var/db/dhclient.leases and fills in /etc/resolv.conf with the
appropriate values.  My script is called in /etc/rc.local after
startup.  This seems to be working fine now, but, all the other
information regarding dhclient that I have read claims that the
dhclient-script is supposed to fill in the values for resolv.conf.  I
would like to use that solution instead, if possible, as I'm no expert
with AWK and may have subtle errors in my script that won't show up
until sometime later.

Ian