Subject: dhclient-script question regarding resolv.conf
To: None <>
From: Ian Thomas <>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/26/2004 12:58:50
	In the script, dhclient-script, where does this script get the values
for the variables: new_domain_name and new_domain_name_servers?  It
appears that if these values are empty, /etc/resolv.conf is not created
and populated with information.
	My reason for asking is that the file, /etc/resolv.conf, is not being
populated with this information after startup when the command,
dhclient, is run.  Running dhclient from the command line doesn't make
any difference.  I have had the same results with no /etc/dhclient.conf
file and one that has values in it.
	As a stop gap measure, I am using an AWK script that parses the file
/var/db/dhclient.leases and fills in /etc/resolv.conf with the
appropriate values.  My script is called in /etc/rc.local after
startup.  This seems to be working fine now, but, all the other
information regarding dhclient that I have read claims that the
dhclient-script is supposed to fill in the values for resolv.conf.  I
would like to use that solution instead, if possible, as I'm no expert
with AWK and may have subtle errors in my script that won't show up
until sometime later.